It’s an exciting time in your life, and not one that you might want to think about things like insurance. However, after shelling out all that money for your wedding and/or honeymoon, why not find out if you can save some money by combining your auto insurance policies? Most insurance companies offer discounts when you insure more than one car on the same policy. This can also apply to anyone you are adding to your policy. If you have a child who just got his or her driver’s license, are adding a live-in parent to your policy, etc. It’s a good idea to shop around and compare quotes and see who can offer you and your new spouse the best deal.
1. Check Insurance Rates BEFORE You Purchase a New Car
Before you buy a new car, it absolutely critical to compare insurance quotes. This way you can see how much it will cost to insure and have quotes to return to if you end up buying the vehicle and need to quickly insure it. Cars that commonly have parts stolen, and cars that are expensive to fix may cost you more to insure.
2. Shop Around for The Best Insurance Policy
This is the best way to save money on insurance. Many people find it easy to stay with the same company for years but fail to realize they have the potential to save hundreds of dollars each year by comparing quotes from multiple companies. You should shop around at least every 6 months to see if you are getting the best deal possible.
3. Consider a Multi-Policy Insurance
Many insurance companies offer various discounts if you insure more than one vehicle on a single policy, and if you have more than one vehicle under the same address or if you have your home insured with the same company that insures your cars.
4. The Higher Your Deductible, the Less Money You Pay Out of Your Pocket
You must be careful not to get in accidents with a higher deductible, as this is the amount that can come out of your pocket before your insurance company starts paying for the rest of the covered damage to your vehicle. If you find yourself with more financial comfort in the future, you might think of lowering the deductible(s) you raised when you needed to save money.
5. Always Ask About Car Insurance Policy Discounts
There are many discounts available to drivers:
- The Good Driver Discount: As most of us know, the better we drive, the better our rates will be. Most insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who have not had accidents or received tickets in the last 3-5 years.
- Low Mileage Discounts: Many insurance companies may offer discounts on vehicles with low annual mileage. Many companies have a predetermined number of what they consider low mileage.
- The Safe Vehicle Discount: Many companies offer discounts for various safety features on your vehicle, including air bags, alarms, factory-installed mechanical seatbelts, and antilock brakes.
- The Good Student Discount: Students currently enrolled in school often receive a discount on auto insurance for their good grades as many companies feel conscientious students make conscientious drivers.
- The Senior Discount: Many insurance companies offer discounts to drivers over 50.
- Rural Discounts: It is almost always cheaper to insure a vehicle in a rural area. Most accidents happen in larger cities, which means if you are a city-dweller, expect higher rates. This also applies to areas where car theft is most common. Generally, residents of these areas will likely be charged higher rates, which is commensurate with the higher risk.
- Occupational Discounts: Many companies offer discounts to people with certain degrees, such as engineers, scientists, and mathematicians. Historically people in these professions have been less likely to get in accidents. Likewise, many auto companies offer discounts to certified teachers and to people in the military (both active and retired).
- Auto Club/Professional Organization Membership Discounts: Many carriers offer discounts to people who are members of auto clubs (such as AAA) and other professional organizations.